Tuesday 5 April 2011

3D Modelling Update: Chessboard Knight

    I spent about 11 hours today playing about with 3DS max and felt that it was really beneficial. I was getting frustrated with it in the first few hours as I was starting to venture away from just using the lathe tool to create my chess peices and had to start utilising other features. Like most software I've ever used, it's just a case playing about and  learning the basics, where everything is, how the tools behave and then everything becomes alot smoother.
    This is just a little update on what I spent the majority of today doing. If you're fluent in 3DS Max then that will be shocking to hear, but like I said I was learning and remembering all the little the tricks as I went. There are a few imperfections in the polygons around the 'ear' section, I may try and sort that out tomorrow with some assistance. The image behind it is what I was working from.


[ Click image to enlarge ]

    With regards to the overall progress of the chessboard, I'm about 85% of the way there. I did make all the peices today but the computer crashed just as I was finishing the queen so I'll do that again tomorrow. After that it's just making the board itself and then adding materials and rendering everything!

1 comment: